In a few days, the decade will come to an end. This also means a new one is about to start. I think this is a good time to evaluate my life, and to see what I can accomplish in the next 10 years. Because of the awesomeness of the year I was born (1980), this is also another "decade" in my life - it'll be my 30s. Again, a great time to think about life and goals.
To honor this, I am making 10 lists of 10 things I want to do/achieve in the upcoming decade.
List 1: Life Goals
1. Apply, attend, and graduate from business school
2. Buy a house
3. Create life (have a baby, whatever you want to call it - if it doesn't happen in the next 10 years, it's unlikely to happen at all, so it might as well be on the list - ideally a man to have the kid with will be in the picture as well, but I don't like making unreasonable goals).
4. Healthify myself. Get to the point where my blood pressure no longer needs to be medicated.
5. Get a cat
6. Write a novel that's worth trying to get published, then find an agent.
7. Be in shape to the point where I can comfortably run a 5k.
8. Find and join a community band and/or choir.
9. Teach someone to play the piano.
10. Learn Spanish.
List 2: Reading Goals.
1. Something by Dickens that isn't "A Tale of Two Cities"
2. "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace
3. More Stephen King
4. Finish the Thursday Next books
5. "Jane Eyre" so that the first Thursday Next book makes more sense.
6. Take another stab at Hemingway - maybe "The Sun Also Rises"
7. George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series
8. Something by Kurt Vonnegut
9. Another book by Wilkie Collins - "The Woman in White" was amazing.
10. The Shopaholic books (what? The main character's name is Becky! Fine. I'll also read Vanity Fair - the book, not the magazine. That one also stars a Becky.)
List 3: Travel Goals.
1. Visit Lake Itasca and the start of the Mississippi River.
2. Take a baseball road trip to Kansas City to see the Twins play the Royals.
3. Visit the Pacific Northwest
4. Go hiking. Real hiking.
5. Travel to another continent. If it's Europe, visit a country I haven't been to before.
6. Go on a cruise (Alaskan or Caribbean)
7. Visit friends in Chicago again
8. Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Maybe. Mardi Gras somewhere.
9. Visit Toronto. Do I know anyone who lives there?
10. See more of Las Vegas
List 4: Movies to watch
1. Citizen Kane
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
3. A Streetcar Named Desire
4. Escape to Witch Mountain (both the original and the recent remake starring The Rock)
5. Lethal Weapon (the first one for sure, more if I like it)
6. The rest of the Rocky movies
7. Marathon the 6 Star Wars movies in chronological (not release date) order
8. Get a copy of The American President on DVD
9. The Apartment
10. Marathon the Lord of the Rings movies, including The Hobbit (if it comes out in the next 10 years).
Ok, so that's only 4 lists so far. I've got time to think up more. My brain can't handle it right now.
Transform and Roll Out!
1 day ago